We are new to gluten free and I will talk more about that later. No time for that tonight! So I will get to it! I have been researching and penning tons of GF recipes and working to adapt recipes and things we like. As we continue to see more positive results my commitment grows and I try more recipes! I combined a few that I found and my version came out great!! Huge bonus, it was in the slow cooker!! It does require stirring, but I threw it all in and stirred once an hour (while I was folding laundry, sweeping, and mopping). Gotta multi-task y’all!
GF Slow Cooker Chex Mix
- 9 cups Chex cereal (4.5 GF Rice) (4.5 GF Corn)
- 2 cups GF Pretzel Sticks (I used Glutino)
- 2 cups Mixed Nuts (I used Planters roasted/unsalted)
- 6 Tablespoons Butter (melted and hot)
- 2 Tablespoons Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
- 1/4 cupWorcestershire Sauce (I used Lea and Perrins)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Dump all dry ingredients into your slow cooker
- Mix melted butter, seasoned salt, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder in a bowl until salt is dissolved
- Dump the mix on top of the dry ingredients in your slow cooker
- Mix all of the ingredients together until the Chex mixture is pretty evenly coated
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 3 hours (mix once an hour)
- After cooking is complete spread it in a single layer on a couple of cookie sheets and let it cool. Then pack it up and enjoy it as you wish!
Be sure to mix everything at least once an hour!!! You don’t want the bottom layers to burn. I was folding laundry, sweeping, and mopping while I made our Chex Mix. I made sure to mix every hour, but it was great just dumping it all in the crock pot and stirring!!
Also, I read in one recipe that if your crock pot has the little release hole, it won’t get soggy. I have that moisture release, but it didn’t seem to be doing the job. At my 1 hour stir I noticed a lot of condensation on the lid and lots of soggy Chex, so I made a little change. (I was home and in the house so I was not afraid of the fire hazard, but please be safe!) I used a dish towel and put it over the top of the crock pot and then put the lid on top. It helped soak up the condensation and nothing turned out soggy!!!! (Or burned down)
For my next batch I want to change the 2 cups of nuts to 1 cup of nuts and 1 cup of GF cheese crackers. My boys love cheese crackers!! HEB was out when I was collecting ingredients for this batch.
Hope y’all enjoy!! It is a new favorite at my house!